HEALTH & SAFETY
Malaysia is a clean country, however precautions should be taken to ensure you don't ruin your vacation due to poor planning. In addition, Malaysia takes a hard stance on crimes against tourists, and visitors are generally safe - however unfortunate incidents do happen involving theft and scams, so be vigilant. Common sense is a good rule of thumb here.
Here are some general health and safety tips:
- Wear mosquito repellent, especially in Eastern Malaysia, with at least 30% DEET concentration. Mosquito netting may also be useful at rustic resort locations.
- Wear sunscreen! 30 SPF is recommended.
- Tap water should not be drunk - bottled water is cheap and readily available almost everywhere.
- Consult a doctor or travel clinic about any inoculations or vaccines which might be recommended before visiting the country, especially Eastern Malaysia.
- Bring hand sanitizer and keep it handy.
- Keep your passport in a safe at the hotel, or somewhere close to your body (loose purses or backpacks are a no no!). Passports are very valuable on the black market and therefore a popular target for theft.
- Beware of snatch theft. Malaysia is full of scooter bikes/mopeds; some thieves speed around looking for loose purses or camera bags to snatch. Always keep your bags and purses close to your body and on the opposite side of roads.
- Bring just enough money to suit you through each day, and leave the rest in the hotel safe or some place secure. That way, if you get pickpocketed, your losses won't be as substantial.
- Try to keep in a group when travelling. Women should never travel alone if possible.
- Dress modestly and avoid displays of wealth. Thieves are quick to notice a wealthy tourist and you'll be an easy target otherwise.
The 5-star hotel, under the Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts brand of the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) is a prominent landmark strategically located within the heart of the city's banking, commercial and vibrant shopping district.
Enter a world of leisure and luxury in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Feel at ease in an ambiance that soothes and rejuvenates, where the ordinary ends and the extraordinary happens.
An international business-class hotel that emphasises efficiency comfort, security and value for money - all delivered with genuine Malaysian warmth and class.